Spiced Sunflower Seed and Pumpkin Bread
Makes 1 large 8 inch loaf or 2 small loaves
Im getting my autumn groove on this year. I’m loving the mild weather and the vibrant display of colours. We’re so lucky that it has been relatively dry and frost free so far so that we can get out and about in the woods to enjoy.
If you haven’t already, it’s a great time to start playing with the richer, earthy autumn flavours available. In the spirit of seasonal local sourcing I have been experimenting with recipes using different pumpkin, squash and dark green leafy foods.
Here is my version of an autumn season Spiced Sunflower Seed and Pumpkin Bread. Its rich, warm and deep flavour is perfect to go with the season’s soups, or top with nut butters and leaves.
Spiced Sunflower Seed and Pumpkin Bread Ingredients:
- 3.5 cups ground sunflower seeds ( little extra for shaping the dough)
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
- 3 tbs ground flaxseed
- 0.5 cup water
- 5 tbs tallow oil or ghee, warm so soft to blend
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or raw local honey
- 0.5 cup apple unsweetened puree
- 0.5 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 tbs pine nuts (to sprinkle on top of loaf)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare your loaf tin, by lightly rubbing butter or oil around the tin then dusting with sunflower seed flour.
- You may line with greaseproof paper if available to avoid sticking.
- use 1 large 8 inch loaf tin or 2 smaller tins as preferred
- Mix together the dry ingredients except pine nuts; including flour, seeds and spices (saving 1/4 cup of ground sunflower seeds to dust and shape dough with).
- Add the warmed oil (not hot), honey and purees in to the dry mix, stirring in bit by bit to form a dough like consistency.
- Add the water as needed to form a dough, withholding some if the mixture is moist.
- The bread dough should be moist but not batter like. Add more flour as need to achieve the correct consistency.
- Turn mix out and onto a generous dusting of sunflower seed flour.
- Kneed into one large dough ball then turn into your prepared bread loaf tin/s.
- Bake larger loaves for approximately 45 minutes, smaller loaves for 35 minutes.
- Check cooked by running through with clean skewer, there should be no mixture on the skewer, bake for longer if still moist.
- Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pans.
- Enjoy with lashings of grass fed organic butter!