Nourishing Traditional Organic Chicken Soup
Nourishing traditional organic chicken soup is rich in easy to assimilate minerals and amino acids, has a warm, comforting way of soothing aches, stuffy noses and scratchy throats making it the perfect cold and flu season food. Broths and stews have long been administered by grannies in the know, used for its power to combat colds and flu and to build strong immunity. Stock based soups are fantastic for keeping us hydrated in the colder months and an ideal source of nourishment and sustenance.Every autumn season I stock up my freezer with this and other savoury homemade nutrient dense soups and broths. I can then magically serve up a steaming bowl each day of delicious soup, adding in fresh herbs or additional chopped vegetables to adjust the flavour.This organic chicken soup recipe is super easy to make and bursting with fresh herb flavour. All great stuff, definitely food for the mind, body & soul, so it is time to make tinned soups and stock cubes a thing of the past in your kitchen.
- 1 whole organic free-range chicken removed giblets can be added for flavoure
- 4 medium organic onions sliced
- 2 litres filtered water
- 1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 bulb organic garlic
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 small bunch fresh bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 organic celery sticks chopped
- 2 organic small young leeks finely chopped
- 2 large organic carrots cubed
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 organic courgettes (zucchini)
- Place chicken and removed giblets in a large stainless steel pot, cover with water, with sliced onions, peeled garlic cloves and apple cider vinegar. Gently bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours. While the chicken is cooking slowly you can prepare the vegetables;cutting and chopping and slicing the courgette into ribbons with a spiralizer or cheese slicer.Once the chicken is cooked through, the stock colour is golden and shimmering with oil, add in remaining ingredients and simmer on a low heat until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
Remove the chicken whole and allow to cool. Then cut into portions (the meat will easily fall away).Place chicken pieces into a bowl, ladle in soup and vegetables. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, add a knob of butter, sprinkle of parsley and serve.
Nourishing traditional organic chicken soup is a wholesome hearty staple of our family’s diet. Organic free-range chickens will give the best results in terms of taste and available nutrients. The longer the stock is cooked for the the richer the flavour will be, cooking on a low heat preserves more nutrients.